Monday, August 9, 2010

Cloth Diaper Challenge Day #13 Flip



Cloth Diaper Challenge Day #13 Flip


Flip was released less than a year ago by Cotton Babies, the makers of bumGenius. I have previously reviewed the bumGenius 3.0's, so to find out more about Cotton Babies click here

The Flip system was released back in October. It has been available less than a year, and they have become very popular. There was buzz around the cloth diapering community for ages before they finally released and I was desperate to get my hands on a set to try out.

The Flip diapering system is a hybrid system with three different options. You can choose to use the stay dry inserts (just like their microfiber inserts with a stay dry top
layer), their organic inserts (made from organic cotton) or their disposable inserts. It works out great for families who like using cloth at home but still use disposable diapers while out and about or on vacation.

The Flip covers are one size, so they fit from 8-35lbs with three different rise settings. They can be wiped clean between uses and reused over and over again. Although once my son poops, the poo does get on the cover, so I wash it after a poop. But I can reuse the same cover for wet diapers all day long. The flip covers also have snaps, which are great. My covers I got in November still look brand new with very little wear and tear thanks to the snaps.

For those of you who hate stuffing inserts, the Flip system is designed to just lie the insert inside the cover. It can be a little tricky to get it on a squirmy toddler, since the insert shifts around while trying to do up snaps on an active kid who likes to run while getting his/her bum changed.

I love the Flip system but don't use it as much now for my active guy. I find it hard to get a good fit with the snaps and keep the insert in place when my active 1.5 year old wants to be running during a diaper change. I did love these from the time I started using them (my son was 8 months) until just over a year and I can't wait to use them on my new baby!

The Flip covers are priced at $13.95, which is a bit on the pricer side for a cover and doesn't come with any inserts. For a cover+an insert the price is $16.95 for the stay dry and $19.95 for the organic. If you purchase the day pack you get 2 covers and 6 inserts for $59.95 (organic) or $49.95 (stay dry). It works out to be less than $9 a diaper (you can get 6 diaper changes out of the day pack). Of course you can buy multiple inserts at $4.95 each for the stay dry of $9.95 for the organic.

Here are some of the Pros/Cons of the Flip System

Pros
  • Very trim for a onesize cover. My little guy is very skinny and these fit great and didn't give him a bubble butt at all
  • One size so you can use the same covers for two in diapers, and use them from birth until potty training
  • You can choose between a stay dry insert, an organic insert or the disposable insert depending on your needs and your babies needs
  • Cost effective if you buy the day packs and additional covers/inserts to fit your laundry needs
  • Fit great under clothes
  • Very absorbent! These can work well for overnight
  • They come in a variety of colours including 3 new colours - Bubble, Noodle and Sweet
Cons

  • You do need a new diaper cover after each "poop" My little guy has solid poops now, but they still get on the cover
  • They inserts bunch up a bit when they get wet
  • The stay dry are microfiber so you can get the "microfiber" stink, and they need to be stripped
  • The elastic in one of mine broke after just 3 or 4 uses. It was a disappointment, but my others have been fine and it was pretty easy to fix
  • Hard to get on a squirmy, active toddler

Overall the Flip is a great system. I can't wait to try them out on my newborn and see how they fit at the beginning. They are getting neglected more often now because they are just to hard to get on my on the go son!



1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE these covers. I love how stretchy they are for a truly good fit.

    ReplyDelete